|Betsy Roth- Media Specialist
The mission of the Mossy Creek Middle School Media Center is to encourage our students to become lifelong readers and researchers. We want to foster student's research skills as well as their love of reading!
Reading Counts is a computer based program that we use to encourage reading at MCMS. It works much like Accelerated Reader in the way that students can earn points by taking quizzes over R.C. books. If a book has a R.C. test available, it will have a blue dot on the spine. If students are reading books they have from home or that have been downloaded onto their device, they can search to see if it has an R.C. test by using the following link:
We have a new medieval reading theme this year! All students are divided amongst 4 kingdoms. The 4 kingdoms are Chomptania, Creekslanding, The Golden Isles, and Swamplandia. As students earn R.C. points, they are helping their kingdom to conquer. Students also earn individual rewards through earning R.C. points. Students will move up in rank in their kingdoms as they reach different R.C. levels. Their lanyard colors will also change to depict their kingdom status.
The Follet Shelf provides students with access to free ebooks! Students will click the link below and enter the following information:
*To login, please use your computer login info.*
Reading Bowl is a club at MCMS where students read books from the Georgia Book Award Nominees. Students become experts on 3 or 4 of these books by reading them, writing, questions, and re-reading them. At our Reading Bowl practices, we use buzzers to quiz ourselves in preparation for the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Competition in February.
2019-2020 Georgia Children’s Book (Gr. 6-8) Award Nominees
- Alexander, Kwame. (2018). Rebound (Illus. Dawud Anyabwile). New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Curtis, Christopher Paul. (2018). The Journey of Little Charlie. New York, NY: Scholastic Press.
- Hiranandani, Veera. (2018). Night Diary. New York, NY: Dial Books for Young Readers.
- Jenson, Cordelia and Morrison, Laurie. (2018). Every Shiny Thing (Illus. Kimberly Glyder). New York, NY: Amulet Books.
- Messner, Kate. (2016). Seventh Wish. New York, NY: Bloomsbury.
- Messner, Kate. (2018). Breakout. New York, NY: Bloomsbury Children’s Book.
- Nielsen, Jennifer A.. (2018). Resistance. New York, NY: Scholastic Press.
- Paterson, Katherine. (2017). My Brigadista Year. Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press.
- Townsend, Jessica. (2017). Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Illus.Jim Madsen). New York, NY: Little, Brown and Company.
- Woodson, Jacqueline. (2018). Harbor Me. New York, NY: Nancy Paulsen Books.